I will always remember the first time I got the promotion I worked so hard to get. Countless hours at the establishment, missing family functions and other personal sacrifices, all to accomplish my career goals.
Finally the day came, the visit form my superior to tell me I was going to be in charge, the head honcho, the man responsible for the whole operation, needless to say I was extremely excited.
That night I went out to celebrate and had an enjoyable evening with family and friends, but it wasn’t until I got home and sat and relaxed that it hit me, you’re in charge now! The responsibility of this multi-million dollar business, the livelihood of all the team members that worked hard alongside you to get you in this position. Their careers also are now my responsibility to some extent. What am I going to do I thought to myself?
Finally I decided to get a hold of my thoughts and stop the doubt from sinking in. I was going to continue to do what I was doing every day that eventually got me the promotion.
Below are some of the systems and processes that I used.
1) Its lonely at the top- As the leader and head decision maker of your establishment, you carry a huge weight on your shoulders, not all of your decisions or changes will be popular with your staff, but you must do what’s right for your company and people. The end result will be rewarding, it’s just that sometimes it might not feel that way. Stay the course.
2) The Sub- Your subconscious controls a lot of what you do. As a leader you are always trying to grow, working and developing your sub is part of that growth. This plays into your confidence that’s why it’s so important.
3) The three legged stool- People Profits and Operations= Success. Master these three!
4) The team of supporting managers- Setting clear cut goals WITH your VPs and managers is paramount. Ensuring you are all on the same page and know what needs to be accomplished.
5) Build the bench- Developing team members to move up in your company and to support and replace mangers as they get promoted is a huge win. You will never be short staffed in key places and the ones that get promoted are already familiar with the company’s vision and culture and it’s easier to maintain.
6) Hire right- The more energy you put into this the easier life will be. This was always a favorite of mine. Hire Eagles and fire ducks.
Every Champion has a coach contact us for your free consultation today!!